Tuesday, September 9, 2008

GC IGBOKWE ESQ GEN SEC CANDIDATE


Who is G.C. Igbokwe?
I am a Benin City based legal practitioner, called to Bar in 1985 and have been in serious active practice since then with a bias for litigation. I am from Anambra State, born on the 17th day of June 1962 and married to Mrs. A.S Igbokwe, a Magistrate, with 5 kids. I got my LL.B Hons. from University of London and did my postgraduate course in University of Ekpoma. I am a Notary Public.

In what ways are your antecedents in the bar relevant to your present aspiration?
My antecedents in the NBA constitute what I call relevant experience. They stand me out in the field of contestants. I started my NBA activities with my branch Benin where I served as the Social Secretary form 1989-1990 and later as Secretary from 1996-1998.
At the national level I was elected the 1st Assistant Secretary in 1990 and served in that position till 1992. In that office I was privileged to serve under two very vibrant and respectable General Secretaries in the persons of Obafemi Adewale Esq. and now Hon. Justice Suji Olateru-Olagbegi. In that same office I also served under three very divergent but principled and committed leaders of the bar as presidents namely Charles Idehen, Sir Clement Akpangbo SAN (of blessed memory) and the indomitable Chief (Mrs) Pricilla Kuye SAN. Again in the year 1998, I was elected as the national publicity secretary. These positions give me an edge over other candidates for this position who cannot boast of equivalent exposure. The Association places very high premium on experience and cannot mortgage it for any other consideration. With this background and history of service, I understand the running of the Secretariat and the ideology of the leaders past and present.

If the office of the General Secretary of the bar is the engine room of the association, what special qualities are you bringing to that office?
If elected, I will bring my entire experience to bear on the affairs of the Secretariat. I am mature, dedicated, committed, resolute, realistic, competent, dependable and accountable. I have been tried, tested and trusted in my past activities and offices. I’ll run the Secretariat with so much candour and objectivity that members will be amazed at the level of inattention they had received in the past.

Can you expatiate here on your key programmes and how you intend to achieve them?
My major programme will be to take the Association back to the members who are its primary constituency and have been alienated from it for a long time. I will give them value for their membership by giving them what I term freedom of information on all NBA activities including publication of a comprehensive list of our representatives in corporate bodies including their branches and rationale for appointment so that they can personally aspire to equally be appointed to represent the Association. I will establish and sustain a newsletter that will publicise all the activities of the NBA. I will create periodic fora for interactions with members through their branches for questions and answers on NBA affairs, policies and activities. I will create an avenue for recognizing, honouring and acknowledging members both old and new who have rendered invaluable and selfless service to this Association. In fact, in all ramifications, my regime will be members oriented without losing sight of the secretariats oversight functions.

In your view, how can legal education be strengthened in Nigeria and how can the practice of law be made more lucrative for legal practitioners?
Legal education can be strengthened in Nigeria with a strict control and monitoring of law faculties of our universities. Admission quota must be respected and strictly adhered to while accreditation must be reviewed periodically with a direct involvement of the NBA and other professional organs like the council of Legal education and the disciplinary committees.
As to making legal practice more lucrative, it is high time legislation come in to restrain the encroachment of other professions into areas of practice of lawyers. Accountants and other professions are seriously encroaching into the areas of practice of lawyers with impunity. This has to be stopped. The Legal Practitioners (Documentary Service) Remuneration Act has to be strictly enforced and then the courts must be prepared to assist whenever a lawyer approaches them for relief. Besides, this, the rule of law, sustained democracy and strong judiciary when firmly in place will increase the confidence of the public in adjudication and need for lawyers. These we must fight for with all our strength and with all arsenal at our disposal. We must be courageous in the struggle for enthronement of constitutionality and respect for rule of law in all aspects of life.

You are contesting the office for the third time; why the insistence?
This is my 3rd attempt at this office and this is my golden opportunity. I have not seen any improvements in the service I wish to offer the Bar as General Secretary. Deacon Dele Adesina SAN became secretary on his 3rd attempt and is arguably the best secretary in recent history. I am encouraged because the loss in the last two attempts was not because of incompetence or rejection but as a result of political alignments and realignments bordering on zoning. Now the coast is clear and there is no impediment for my victory.

As a Benin based lawyer, how do you hope to effectively discharge the heavy burdens of the office of the General Secretary of the NBA?
The Association has grown beyond fixed secretariat or restricted operations. With IT era, the whole world is a global village and Nigeria is certainly one. Since we won, the battle to make the position of General Secretary open, the Association has not been disappointed. And don’t forget that for all service practitioners, the whole federation is their constituency.

Again, I am equipped with enough information technology to operate a network of services. I have a staff strength of Ten lawyers and associates to manage my chambers. Besides, I perfectly understand that I am offering selfless service to the Association that will cause some inconveniences in my legal practice. Again, the immediate past and last General Secretaries come from Port Harcourt and Ilorin respectively. They have done well from branches that are further to Lagos than Benin. Sincerely, expect to do as well if not better than them in the service of the Association.

G.C., can you win this office, this time?
Yes, I can win this office. I am in the race and running to win by the Grace of God and goodwill of all well meaning and objective delegates who believe in history of service, experience and maturity. This is my time and I’ll surely make it.

No comments: