Monday, September 8, 2008

ADEKUNLE OJO ESQ


Squib: Who is Adekunle Ojo?
Ojo: My name is Adekunle Ojo. I was born in 1964 to the family of Chief Thomas Ojo of Aramoko Ekiti State. I am an aspirant for the position of the 2nd Vice President of NBA.
I am a man of several parts. I have served notary club as President in 1998-1999, which makes me grounded in service to mankind and the community. I am a public spirited person and a passionate defender of the people.
I am currently serving as a member of the governing council of the Office of the Public Defender of Lagos State, the first of its kind in the whole of Africa. I was for some years the President and Leader of the Progressive Bar Forum Ikeja. I equally have the privilege of serving in several positions of responsibility at the National body of the NBA and Ikeja Branch of the NBA.
At the National body, I have served as a member of the Human Rights Committee, Endowment Fund Committee, NBA Judiciary Committee, Vice Chairman Business Crime Committee of the NBA section on Legal Practice, Alternate Secretary of the NBA committee on falling standard of Legal Practice in Nigeria.
And at the Ikeja bar, I have served in all statutory and adhoc committees of the Bar. Under my watch as the chairman of the NBA Ikeja branch (2004-2006) I initiated the Gani Fawehinmi Annual lectures, and the Late Alao Aka Bashorun Annual lectures. I also laid the foundation of the Rotimi Williams Bar center for the Ikeja Branch
It will interest you to know that the most vibrant branch of the NBA actually became “Tiger Bar” under my administration and I became the “Elekun of Ekun” “Oba Adekunle Ojo 1”
Oh, I was actually called to the Bar in 1990. I am married with three kids. I am a Christian, I attended C.A.C Grammar School Efon-Alaye and proceeded to Ahmadiya College Agege Lagos for my ‘A’ level where I emerged the best student in Economics. I equally attended Ahmadu Bello University Zaria where I won the Ajose Adeogun prize for the Best student in Criminal Law.

Squib: What are your credentials at the Bar?
Ojo: I have been involved in the affairs of the Bar since 1990 when I was called as a young lawyer. I have always participated in every activity at the Bar. We were together in Owerri, we were together in Port-Harcourt when the NBA had our crisis and in the post-crisis era, I have been a factor in the Bar affairs.
I have been in the NEC for years now and on issues, whether local, national or international. I remain one of the voices of progress within the bar and in Nigeria as a whole. As a Bar man I have always brought to bear my background and experience of committed progressive activism and accessibility.
There are certain things that mark me out as a focused Bar man; Fairness, unwavering commitment to duty, firmness, outstanding courage, milk of mercy and unparalleled passion for the welfare of my colleagues.
I can never close my eyes to a colleague in distress and I have never looked the other way while a colleague suffered. I waged many successful wars against judicial terrorism, menace of charlatanism, police impunity and lawlessness and executive abrasiveness.
In all my dealings as a Bar man, I have always displayed forthrightness, humility, astuteness and I “say it as it is” no corners, no begging the question.

Squib: Why are you in the race to become the NBA 2nd Vice President and why now?
Ojo: Great! Two years ago, I ran for this same office, though I did not emerge victorious but you remember very well, while others who lost disappeared, brooding over a temporary set back what I consider a situation report” I said one thing then and I know it for sure that perhaps it was not my time in the reckoning of God and in the estimation of the electorate, though it was a narrow miss.
Let me remind you of my exact words in that occassion and I will wish it be repeated, “Do not let anyone be sorrowful for us. In the case of life, sometimes you win and sometimes you loose, but the truly committed, the truly patriotic never lose out. Our time will come. The sun will still shine. Even now, the dark clouds are already passing away. I restate my commitment to NBA service and shall be available to serve”.
These were my exact words on the first day of September 2006 at the swearing in of the outgoing executives. Now!!! I have remained committed, I have remained patriotic, the Sun is shining, it is now my time.
I know that this office is a charge of the welfare committee of the Bar. I am a welfarist by nature. I have an extra-ordinary compassion for this profession and my colleagues. I can stake all that I have to ensure that no lawyer is ever ridiculed, that no lawyer is ever dehumanized and that no lawyer remains downtrodden.
I am going to work sincerely for the actualisation of the yearnings of our members. Come to think of it, every association exists for the welfare of its members. I am already trained and tutored to serve without counting cost, returns, pains.
I have equally come to an understanding that the way NBA is structed, it envisages a president and other zonal presidents called the vice presidents. The ineptitude of any of these zonal presidents has always led the generality of our members in castigating the president and the secretary. Honestly, where a vice-president is alive to his responsibilities as I will be, a commendable impact, relevance and strong connection will be ensured between the national body and the branches.
And above all, the Bar needs a strong mind, a man of opinion who will not quake at the sight of a demagogue.

Squib: There are claims that the Ikeja Bar, which you once led as chairman is noted for undue radicalism (For which it is known as the Tiger Branch) and that if you are elected, you will bring in to the NBA national leadership this controversial tendency.
Ojo: Thank you! We are Tigers at the Ikeja Branch, but we do not eat people. We are known for pitching our tent with the people and the progressives.
As a branch, we live and exist for the betterment of the society and we will continue to do this since it brings smiles and laughter to the lips of Nigerians. When elected, I can not be docile, I have a tradition of vibrancy, I have a tradition of progressivism, I can not change. I can not change from these good virtues, but I will not be cantankerous or pugnacious and I will not be an irritant in the executive

Squib: What role will you like the NBA to play in the socio-political life of Nigeria between 2008-2010?
Ojo: The NBA in my humble opinion is the most important professional association in Nigeria. Our views and positions on issues of national importance sharpens the thinking, the direction, policies of government and the perception of the good people of Nigeria.
In the present democratic dispensation, the NBA cannot afford to take a back sit in the affairs of the country. The people of this country are still looking up to the NBA for authentic, political, economic, social and cultural emanticipation.
The NBA, of which I am part of, will by God’s grace work diligently. And I will wish, as usual, hat the NBA continues to seek panacea in conjunction with the other patriots to the problems plaguing Nigeria.

Squib: Given the formidable credentials of your opponents how do you hope to win?
Ojo: With due respect the four opponents that are viewing against me, I am the most mobile, I am the most accessible, my credentials of performance speak volume in my favour. My opponents have all sat in their different houses, expecting the electorates to look for them, while I went to a great number of our branches to seek their mandates, to know their problems, to know their yearnings and peculiarities. I am in a better position to appreciate our colleagues and the peculiarities of the different branches of the NBA I will appreciate and value them more than any of my opponents because I have been to them.
By God’s grace and the goodwill of members of the Bar, I will win.

Squib: What are your plans of action that will ensure that if you win, you will not be a mere “spare tyre” in the national exco of the NBA?
Ojo: By my very nature, I am not docile, I can not be a mere “spare tyre” and by the constitution of the NBA there are specific assignments to the office of the 2nd Vice President. The 2nd Vice President is like a zonal prefect or a Zonal president who is expected to mobilize and harness the branches for the collective good of our association.
All we need in that post is a person with ability, enough zeal and commitment. I have the zeal, I have the courage, I have the vision and commitment to make a difference and to make an enduring impact as the 2nd vice president

Squib: Last words?
Ojo: Vote for me, I can not fail, I will not fail, I will perform and not merely hold office.
I welcome everybody to the conference. I wish all the delegates a successful stay in Abuja and journey mercy as they go back to their respective branches. Thank you.

No comments: