Tuesday, September 9, 2008

BARTH OKOYE ANICHE ESQ


WHO IS BARTH OKOYE-ANICHE ESQ?
Barth Okoye Aniche Esq. is a legal practitioner of No. 89 Jubilee Road, Aba, Abia State. He attended University of Nigeria and was called to the Nigerian Bar in December 1991. Has served the Nigerian Bar Association as Publicity Secretary 2004-2006 and is still serving as Welfare Secretary 2006 – August, 2008.

You are not a new face in the Executive Committee, infact you have held so far three different offices and you are now gunning for the fourth (3rd Vice President) why is this so?
The truth of the matter is that I have held two different offices in the National Executive Committee and not three as suggested. I am gunning for the 3rd Vice president because I want to position myself well in a manner to affect decisions at the National Exco. Moreover because I have been there by popular mandate since 2004, leaving at this stage will mean taking away all the experiences I have gained. If I take it away just like that, it will make no meaning because our great association which has given me the exposure will not benefit. So the whole idea is to give it all back to Nigerian bar Association. It will be too illegitimate to quit at this stage.

About four of you are in the race to become the 3rd Vice President of the NBA; why do you want the voters to choose you over others?
Yes originally, we were Four gunning for this office viz (1) Barth Okoye Aniche Esq. (2) Bode Makinde Esq (3) Sir Idike of NBA Agbor Branch (4) Grandville 1. Abibo Esq. but at Onitsha NEC, Grandville 1 Abibo Esq. withdrew from the race leaving off the three of us. I want the voters to choose me over the rest because of my antecedents as a National Officer. As the Publicity Secretary NBA, I tried my best to give a good image to the NBA and discharged very well other functions delegated or relegated to my office. Somehow I want to believe that it was because of that performance that I was elected unopposed in 2006 unanimously by the members of our great Association. I have gannered the experience to move NBA forward. No other contestant with me is as experienced as my self.
Meanwhile I have been regular and has used my positions selflessly, touching the lives and associating with the members very well. All these and more I believe will make the voters choose me over the rest. I am not posing if I say that I am a candidate to be reckoned with in this election.

In the last two years what in your opinion is the greatest achievement of the Olisa Agbakoba (SAN) administration and what should be the most important achievement of the incoming Rotimi Akeredolu SAN administration?
I think the greatest achievements of Olisa Agbakoba’s administration are:
i. Rebranding the NBA (giving the name NBA a meaning). The most crucial of this rebranding formular is the repositioning of the NBA and making it more formidable within and without the country.

ii. The mandatory continuing legal education which I suggest should be dissolved and targeted to benefit the members depending on the nature and features of law practice applicable to the area.

iii. The NBA Human Rights Institute. I think the time has come for Human Rights to be taken seriously in this country.

The incoming Oluwarotimi Akeredola SAN administration should focus on;
(1) Strengthening and maintaining the tempo of the new NBA

(2) Do more work on the mandatory continuing legal education by giving it a heart by this I mean that the MCLE should target to train lawyers more on their necessary area of practice. Query,: would teaching a lawyer in Aba or Abuja Marine law and Practice make any difference?

(3) Furthermore the NBA Human Rights Institute should be further strengthened and positioned to meet with the challenges within its terms of reference.

What do you think can be done to Strengthen legal education in Nigeria and how can the practice of law be made more lucrative in the Country?
It is my view and I think a lot of lawyers share the same view that legal education in Nigeria can be strengthened if the teaching methodology is changed and improved.

Moreover the teachers can still be improved to maintain high standards. If the teachers are improved by training and their teaching methodology improved, I have no doubt that it will go a long way to strengthen legal education. A fortiori the measure we give will be the measure we will receive and or input will be equal to the out put.

Practice of law will be made more lucrative in the country if we fashion our laws and or practice to suit our circumstance(s). For example what is this De novo proceedings during in our practice system?

Secondly, Court orders must be obeyed by all even the mighty. When Court order(s) are not obeyed or obeyed tactically it leads to an organized disenchantment with the whole judicial process and this will make the practice of law less lucrative.

Thirdly, we have to revisit our Evidence Act to see how we can take care of the recent technological improvement in the way documents are made and or gotten. This is very important since it will change the course of legal practice and make it more lucrative.

Fourth, I want to think that a lot of lawyers don’t give their best because of lack of tutelage/know how. I suggest that tutelage of not less five years be re-established. You can see that lawyers worth their onions are fast getting old without imparting their stuff. You see young lawyers opening offices here and there without the stuff/know how. How can they make it except by chance or luck.

Finally, law firm partnership has to be encouraged and developed this will equally make legal practice more lucrative.

Your opponents in this race look so formidable do you really think you can win this race?
In the first place, I believe power and other things, come from God, who created the heavens and earth. Accordingly if it is His wish I will surely win. Moreover, I make bold to say that though my opponents look formidable, Barth Okoye Aniche is more formidable and because of my antecedents and experience I hope to win this race. You know one thing about our members, as you are serving them or relating with them, they are watching you. I have served and still serving the members know me and will vote for me because I want to believe that members will only vote for the person they know and or for the person introduced to them by those who know. I will win this race by the grace of God. You will see.
Thank you.

No comments: