Tuesday, September 9, 2008

ADEKUNLE AJASA ESQ


Who is Prince Adekunle Ajasa?
Prince Adekunle Ajasa was born in Ikorodu in Lagos State of Nigeria on the 13th December 1960. I attended Salvation Army Primary School in Ikorodu and obtained First School Leaving Certificate in 1971. I attended Lagos City College, Yaba for my Secondary School and Passed my WASC in 1977.
I graduated from the Lagos State University, Ojo in 1998. I attended Nigerian Law School, Bwari Abuja, and was called to Bar on 31st July, 1999. I am a Registered Associate of Nigerian Institute of Management (ANIM) with Chartered Number 29567 and became chartered in 1993. I worked in various banks, up to management level and voluntarily retired in 1995 from Nigerian Merchant Bank Plc, Cowries House at Adeyemo Alakija, Victoria Island, Lagos. I am an active and registered member of ICAN with registration No. 14362 and passed the Professional Examination of the Institute of Chartered Accountant of Nigeria (ICAN) in May 1991with Candidate No 911/10644/PZ/Z. During the period of working in banks, I passed all the levels of professional Banking Examinations such as Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (ACIB) professional Examinations part 1 and 2 (Final) and became Chartered Banker on the 29th July 1994 with Chartered Number of ANA 404.
I am an active Member of Ikeja Branch of the Nigerian Bar Association from 1999 to 2008 and have attended all Conferences from year 2000 to 2008 and all NEC meetings from 2000 till date. I have been in active Legal Practice since I was called to Bar and did pupilage in the Chambers of Mr. Abiodun Dabiri who was the former Chairman of Lagos (Premier) Branch of the Nigerian Bar Association. I have been participating in Bar Activities in Ikeja Branch of NBA since 1999. I have been actively involved in the running of the affairs of the NBA Ikeja Branch since year 2002 till date. I have served as an Officer of the Ikeja Branch from 2002 to 2004 as an Ex-Officio. I have served as “Social Secretary” of Ikeja from year 2004 to 2006. I have served as “Welfare Secretary” of Ikeja Branch from year 2006 to 2008. I have also served in various Committees at Ikeja Branch of our great association from year 2000 to 2008 such as “welfare, Human Rights, New Legal year and Court Monitoring” etc. I equally served in various Committees at National Level of our great Association in the past. I am a practicing Catholic and I attend Saint Ferdinand’s Catholic Church Boys Town, Ipaja, Lagos. I am the General Secretary of Catholic Men Organization of St. Ferdinand’s Catholic Church Boys Town, Ipaja, Lagos. I am the Agege Deanery General Secretary of Catholic Men Organisation. I am the Assistant Public Relation Officer of Catholic Men Organisation of Archdiocese of Lagos, which is the highest decision body of Catholic Men in Lagos. I am happily married and we have three Lovely Children: Two (2) Boys and One (1) Girl.
My philosophy in life is determination to succeed through hardwork and self discipline as a man. I also believe strongly in the words of God, and have fear of God in all things I lay my hands upon. I strongly believe in Rule of Law, equity and justice and hate cheating, Injustice to fellow mankind.

What qualities and antecedents do you have to warrant you become the Assistant Financial Secretary of the NBA?
I have a good pedigree in occupying the post of Assistant Financial Secretary due to the followings reasons:
I am a professional man to the core who specialized in the field of accounting, banking, finance and law. As a chartered banker of high repute who had worked in various banks, and risen to the position of Management Staff in the Nigeria Banking Industry. I have the capacity to discharge my duties better than my opponents who do not have such professional qualifications as I possess. As a tested accountant, in which I did the examination from foundation level to professional level, I passed my ICAN Examinations right from foundation level to professional level in the field of accounting.
Therefore, I am well qualified to occupy the post of Assistant Financial Secretary of our great Association; even qualify to occupy the post of Financial Secretary based on my qualifications.
I am a tested leader and have track records of tremendous achievements which can be seen through records at Ikeja Branch during the six years I served the branch as an officer.

Do you agree with the suggestion that the post of Assistant Financial Secretary is one of the innocuous posts in the NBA Executive Committee that should be done away with?
I do not agree with the suggestion that the post of Assistant Financial Secretary is an innocuous one that can be done away with, anyway. Section 13(8) spells out the duties of Financial Secretary including collecting practising fees of all Lawyers throughout the country and to ensure that all lawyers pay their practicing fees. When I win the election, I will ensure that;
1. All Lawyers, practising or not, pay their practicing fees.
2. I will introduce data banking, where all practising fees collected from all the 88 Branches can be verified and 10% Rebate are remitted to Branches and can be verified by members.
3. I will assist the Financial Secretary to ensure accountability, probity will be our watchword while Honesty, trustworthiness will be my hallmarks during our administration.
4. My programs for the post of Assistant Financial Secretary will be in line with Section 13(8),(9) of our constitution, as follows:
i To ensure all lawyers pay their practising fees as at when due.
ii To ensure that all branches enjoy the approved 10% Rebate which I will personally deliver the cheques to all branch chairmen throughout the country.
iii I will assist branches in setting up good financial records, where there are none and to ensure that all non-trading accounts are opened. E.g (1) Receipt and payment Account, (2) Income and Expenditure Account, (3) Balance Sheet, (4) Ensuring that all Branch Assets are valued and reflected in their branch accounts.
iv I will ensure all NBA assets throughout the country are valued by professional bodies and the current market rate are used as this will be reflect in our financial records.
v I will work very well to ensure that quarterly financial Report of all our financial transactions are presented to the NEC through the national President of NBA.
vi I will carry out other duties assigned to me to perform by the President and NEC
vii I will attend all meetings called by the executives, NEC and all conferences.
viii I will be a good team player and work closely with the Financial Secretary to ensure we succeed during our tenure.

How can legal education be strengthened in Nigeria and the practice of law made more lucrative?
Legal Education can be strengthened in Nigeria through continuous legal education programmes, by mandating all Branches to carry out Seminars, Lectures and at very moderate fees for all lawyers to benefit.

What are your chances of success in this elections?
My chances of success are very high, because of my past track records of great achievements in education, and practical performance from my branch, relationship with colleagues, which I stand out better than my two opponents; this was confirmed at Onitsha when three of us addressed the NEC members; and as a core professional, my chances are very high to win the Election as Assistant Secretary of our great Association.
Thanks.

No comments: